NuffNang

Friday, August 13, 2010

The green vote - the upcoming Australian Election

I have some pretty interesting conversations sometimes.

The topic of the ‘green’ vote came up after a comment was made about the Melbourne Electorate and that more than likely the vote there would go to the Greens and thus they would hold the seat.

It went something along the lines of:-
The polling indicates that the Seat of Melbourne will be won by the Greens
Reply:-
Yeah, the seat with the biggest Air Conditioners and Plasma TV’s – talk about cynics

Did you know that the Seat of Melbourne has a protected electricity supply? Meaning that if the power goes down state-wide (just saying), that the Melbourne CBD and surrounds would be considered the most urgent and important to get re-instatement.

So the tree-hugging, soy latte types, living in the concrete jungle, get preference, over those actually planting the trees, growing the crops, the meat and trying to survive.

These are the same people that are trying to block the use of cars in the suburbs and saying public transport is the only method of transportation allowed. All fine and well when the nearest bus stop is 500m, but when it’s 5000m OR greater, we are penalised because we use our cars.

Train stations? – Most people in the country don’t have access to trains, because the lines have all been shut. Why? – because transport users stopped using trains because they were unreliable, they were costly and difficult to get to, let alone, try and park and use the train. There is no parking.

Not everyone wants to live in the city, not everyone can live in the city.

The ‘green’ vote although idealistically sound, there are many policies under that green vote, that can’t work for the ordinary man and woman.

I’m all for solar power, I’m all for recycling, reducing and recycling. I’m all for planting trees, and vegetable gardens.

Picking out a few of the points located in the ‘The Greens’ website:-

Health - the public health system is the best way to deliver health services.
Education - ensure the viability and diversity of existing public schools is not endangered by the development of new private schools.
Economics - the Goods and Services Tax (GST) is unfair, regressive and places an unfair burden on individuals and small business.
Climate Change and Energy - facilitate the rollout of smart meters with real-time communications technology and information display with measures to ensure that people who are on low incomes, unemployed or aged are not unfairly penalised.
Immigration and Refugees - house asylum seekers who arrive without a valid visa in publicly owned and managed open reception centres, where entry and exit to these centres are unrestricted except where prohibited for medical or security reasons specified in clause 28.(AAV = asylum application visa)
Sustainable Planning and Transport - increase the tariff on imported four-wheel drive vehicles from 5% to 10% except for primary producers.
Childcare - childcare should be a not-for-profit service.
Environmental Principles - develop and adequately fund fuel reduction burning strategies based on the latest research on scientific fire ecology, fire behavior information and indigenous fire management practices, in consultation with experts, custodians and land managers.

These are just some of the points located at Greens.org.au

I’m not going to pull apart each and every point, in fact I’m not going to pull apart ANY of their policies. I just want you to stop and think before you put pen to paper and think ‘Is this what I want for my future? Is this what I want for my family? Is the cost of implementation too high socially and economically?

It's your vote, make it count. Remember food comes from somewhere and it has to be transported to you, how much more will it cost?

If the public health system is the best way to improve our health, why are the hospitals struggling now, when private health insurance is almost mandatory?

If the cost of electricity is already high, how much higher will it be with the implementation of 'smart' meters? - Can you really financially afford it?

On the 21st August make YOUR VOTE count.

6 comments:

  1. Due to overzealousness on my behalf I deleted many comments so please accept my apologies and the duplicates of said comments back to my blog
    Courtesy of 'Deb'
    There is some very interesting and applicable research that just came out, that green consumers can be less honest. People were given the chance to buy things, one group had lots of green options and the other standard ones. They were then given some money and asked to take their change out, the ones in the green group took more than they were entitled to more than the others, and was another indicator as well. Putting this together with other things it seems that people work on a moral bank account, when we put more in we feel entitled to take more out. It is interesting to think what this means in terms of voting - will people feel that because they have voted green they have done their bit, the real world effects could be the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to overzealousness on my behalf I deleted many comments so please accept my apologies and the duplicates of said comments back to my blog
    Courtesy of Andrew
    Self interest, yes. But Melbourne and surrounds should have priority electricity supply because of lifts. Hundreds of people would be trapped, as I was a couple of years ago for three hours when a main supply went out in northern Victoria. But I am not sure if it is correct about the city and its surrounds being protected as we have been load shed in the past. No one could get into or leave the carpark as there was no one around who knew how to manually open the carpark gate. I can still manage to walk many flights of stairs, but there will come a time when I won't be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to overzealousness on my behalf I deleted many comments so please accept my apologies and the duplicates of said comments back to my blog
    Courtesy of David Novakovic
    The cities aren't going away. Would you prefer Melbourne be full of Hummers, industrialised food and the like? I think I'll the posers with the people who mean well rather than the opposite. :)

    In the meantime, I'll be happy with a party that both opposes the net filter, supports the NBN, supports equality amongst people and supports public transport.

    Let's give them a chance, after all it can't be much worse than the last term served up by the ALP :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Due to overzealousness on my behalf I deleted many comments so please accept my apologies and the duplicates of said comments back to my blog
    Courtesy of Lesley Dewar
    A vote for the GREENS is a vote for LABOR. End of story. The Greens are as honest as their leader. When did you find out he is gay? #justasking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Due to overzealousness on my behalf I deleted many comments so please accept my apologies and the duplicates of said comments back to my blog
    Courtesy of Mike Fitzsimon
    Hi Lesley. No, a vote for the Greens is a vote for the Greens. It's they who get the funding for the primary vote, provided they achieve more than 4%.

    A vote for the Greens might later become a vote for Labor, IF...
    1. the Green candidate is eliminated, AND
    2. the voter writes a lower number against the Labor candidate than the number they write against the Coalition candidate.

    BTW thanks for your comment about my honesty :P

    Finally, I've seen you make a few comments now about whether (OR NOT) Bob Brown is gay. Do you have any particular concerns about this? I don't lose much sleep worrying about whether this makes Bob more or less trustworthy. In a similar vein, I happen to know that my doctor *is* gay. I trust him with my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Due to overzealousness on my behalf I deleted many comments so please accept my apologies and the duplicates of said comments back to my blog
    Courtesy of darkdirk
    We're not all soy latte sippers. I, for example, prefer a long machiato.

    Seriously though, do you support ALL the policies of the party you vote for? I certainly don't. As a bit of a lefty I find myself in agreement more often with the ALP and the Greens than the Coalition, but there's quite a bit I don't like about them too (especially the ALP). Conversely, while I disagree a lot with the Coalition, I do find myself in agreement with them sometimes. None of the parties brings (or would bring) the government I would prefer. I vote greens because I want to see a mixture of people in the parliament, and I want to see the two-party system finished. That's why I've been loving this election result so much. I especially love the idea of a unity government that Rob Oakeshott has been talking about. A parliament that needs to negotiate over every major policy might be less efficient, but would be far more effective.

    Dean

    ReplyDelete