NuffNang

Monday, September 21, 2009

Twitter V Facebook V other social media

(Reposted from http://www.itaintalwaysso.blogspot.com/)

I don’t pretend to be an expert on any of these things. I am a user plain and simple.
I don’t want to make money from any of these applications, money is not the aim of my game.
Intelligent conversation, intelligent debate these are the two things that I look for when participating with anything on the internet.

I have no need for my photo to be plastered all over the place and the same goes for my children. If I am not prepared to share my face, then I have no right to ‘share’ my children’s images either.

Some people take great delight in sharing photos of family and friends, I have no such inclinations.

Twitter:- I find it a tool that amuses the mind, has the ability to share the interesting and sometimes inane points of our wonderful world. Twitter enables people follow people of similar values and talent and knowledge. I follow some people because they are interesting, I follow others because they provide interesting debate and I follow a third group of people because they are of interest and also provide me with an insight into another way of thinking. Twitter enables you to pop in and out of the conversation and even for the day – and you have missed very little, unless you wish to trawl back over the tweets that have accumulated in your timeline.

Facebook:- I do have an account, I tried it once and found it too time consuming. Stupid little quizzes and games. Seems to appeal to a person who doesn’t have a full-time job. Maybe I am trivialising the whole concept, but the data retention I think is one of the things that turns me off. I like my privacy.

Other Social Media:- which could be anything from forums to chatrooms. I often participate in forums where the debate is intelligent, where the company is good. This can often replace a good book, when the issues are interesting. Chatrooms are a completely different kettle of fish. If you participate in chatrooms, you must be able to fend off the voyeur or the sex mad lunatic. Neither of these people interest me in the slightest.

I suppose (for me) the benefit of Twitter over other applications, is the ability not to eat into your time in the same fashion as other ports of the social media.

If I have offended someone, well – bad luck – this is MY personal view and I am not here to make friends, but I don’t wish to make enemies either.

No comments:

Post a Comment