NuffNang

Thursday, July 15, 2010

How to pick Fraudulent Credit Card Transactions

Email #1
Hello,

Good day I will kindly like to know if you carry ZYX if you do then I will be glad if you can get to me with the price per box so that we can proceed.Thanks

T
....................
Response #1
Hi T , do you want the disposable latex type?

......................................................
Email #2
Yes A how much do you sell a box and how many pieces are in them.Hope to hear from you soon.Thanks

T
........................
Response #2
Hi T the XYZ are $0.00 + GST (100 in a box).
........................

Email #3
Hi A,

Glad to hear from you and what I will be the total cost for 100 Boxes.Let me hear from you so that we can proceed on with this order.Thanks

T
...................................

Response #3
T there are 10 boxes of 100 in a carton do you want 10 cartons?
........................

Email #4
Yes A
.......................

Response #4
T am I sending these to you or are you picking them up?
.....................

Email #5
A OK sending them to me will be OK. So when can send my credit card for the order.Thanks
T
.....................

Response #5
Well first of all I require your address so I can work out freight ( Australia only)
......................

Email #6
Hello A,

Below is my payment details:

T
123 The Road, The Beach, A State, Australia

MASTERCARD#:

1234567890123456 EXPIRY:00/2000 CVV:000

1234567890126789 EXPIRY:00/2000 CVV:000

Run and split the charges on both cards and kindly let me hear back from you.Thanks
.......................

Response #6
Hi T unfortunately I am unable to process this order. Please contact out credit department for any queries.
.......................

Email #7
Hello A,

You mean my cards did not go through or if you did not process them I guess you can kindly forward it your credit card dept to process it for the order for me OK.Thanks

T
...........................
A formal response was sent from the credit department after this last email, no response has been received, regarding innocence or otherwise

The give-aways were:-
1. No Phone Number
2. Free email address
3. The address was a legitimate business, that did not know T
4. The cards were approx 3000 digits different in sequential order
5. No response has been received after the formal response
6. Both cards had the same expiry date
7. The clincher was the fact that cards are not from AU banks

Victoria Police were contacted - advised by phone to attend station, station was attended - once there advised that since no crime has been committed, unless you want to do the leg work, we aren't going to follow it up

It is believed (but NOT confirmed) that these 2 cards may be Citibank USA issued Mastercards, but this has NOT been proven at the time of posting.

Today being the day that the media are talking about EFT/Electronic fraud and ways to prevent it - I was gob-smacked at the response.

Take this as a warning - if you accept credit card payments over the phone or email in YOUR business

If you are USA based or are in Australia and want the full details, please leave a message via the comments section - it WILL NOT be published.
.......................................
My email to Mastercard worldwide regarding THEIR cards and possible problems:-

I believe the following details are stolen information, these cards were attempted to be used for an internet sale of approx $ABC and the ‘owner’ was requesting the charge be split between 2 cards.

That was the first alarm bell, the second was no phone number, the third was a yahoo.com email address for Australia, the 4th was the delivery is a real address for a real business, but they had never heard of a XYZ.

No transactions have been processed by us and no transaction will be processed by us, but these cards/accounts need to be de-activated IMMEDIATELY

Payment details:

**insert card details, including CCV)

Run and split the charges on both cards and kindly let me hear back from you.Thanks



Should you require any further information, please feel free to contact me

......................
Response from Mastercard Worldwide - Keeping in mind I DON'T and am unable to locate the bank concerned

You must contact the bank that issued your cards to alert them. MasterCard does not manage cardholder accounts or else we would. As such, we do not have access to these systems. There should be a telephone number on the back of your cards where you can call. If not, you can call the MasterCard Assistance Center at **Insert USA Number here** for assistance in getting this reported

.....................

A response WAS received overnight - perhaps my email responding to their inability to actually read emails sunk in?

Don't know, but here is the response

Thank you for contacting MasterCard. This information has been forwarded to our Fraud Team.


So I can lay straight in bed now - but if you need help for suspected fraud OR fraud, I'm not sure it's possible to get any help - noting that the above contact information was sent TO THE FRAUD DEPT of MASTERCARD WORLDWIDE!

The Plastic Fantastic I would suggest will go the way of the dodo, if the duty of care is not increased by the card issuer, the bank and the police.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing..This is why fraud is such a problem. The fraudsters know that no one can be bothered to pursue the matter..They all want to pass the buck and the baddies get the goods unless they run into someone (a merchant) who questions the legitimacy of the card to the user...a rare event, and denies the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This took me the best part of 12 hours to try and track someone down, who WOULD actually do something. I was surprised at how difficult it was.
    Because I didn't know and still don't know the issuing bank, it's a bit hard to call that bank directly. (the numbers do tell you, IF you can 'read' them)
    I thought any bank would be interested, or at least pass me onto to someone who would be. - that was certianly not the case
    The police were not interested
    Even Mastercard initially weren't interested until I sent an email in reply to the'Contact your issuing bank' about how I DON'T CARE, as I haven't been affected, I'm trying to help you BLAH BLAH....... I'm sure you know the tone.
    some 3 hours later was when I received the...... passed onto the Fraud team email
    Too hard, and I doubt few people would actually pursue this once they hit the first brick wall.

    ReplyDelete