NuffNang

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Twitter - Our Very Own Futurama?

I read this sentence…………..“On the one hand, there's more useful information for historians to sift. On the other, there's more useless information. And without the benefit of hindsight, it's impossible to tell which is which. “ from How future historians will use the Twitter archives. and immediately thought of an episode of Futurama, where some inane object, suddenly became the most important thing to humans in the times of old.

The idea of preserving Twitterverse, I think could be a good idea. I suppose my thoughts are privacy based. Maybe we should put a government protection order on them, like war records and archives. Not to be released for 50 years, to prevent embarrassment? There is apparently going to be a window of 6 months where tweets won’t be released, but is this enough time? – For me I don’t think I’m too fussed, but for others? I’m not sure.

Personally I don’t care about who had what for breakfast, even elephants don’t raise my interest level regarding breakfast food. I’m not particularly fussed that you went out and shagged Shazza last night (plenty of that going on) I’m more interested in things like local events, world-wide news-worthy stories and some of the more unusual stories, like crocs in pools and some new technology stories.

I like hashtags (#), they enable me to follow one conversation world-wide, the only problem is people who jump on these tags with their spamming garbage. Block them ALL I say and get rid of some of the garbage on the net!

According to popular figures something like 55 million tweets are published each and every day world-wide. That’s a lot of information out there on the web and that the US Congress are claiming they can capture and archive all of it.

The twitter blog Twitter Blog says that Twitter is donating these tweets to the ‘Library of Congress’ in the USA

So bend over and kiss my shiny metal ass – and remember once on the net, always on the net!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You sure are ahead of the pace! I'm impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I thought you might like that - I read yesterday on twitter that if you are thinking of tweeting something that is older than 12hours - don't bother - the twitterverse already knows! - I thought a good tweet

    ReplyDelete